Dream Vacation or Nightmare Road Trip?
A Pre-Trip Vehicle Check Can Make the Difference. Performing a pre-trip vehicle check helps drivers avoid a vacation breakdown disaster.
When dreaming about summer vacation, the thought of a roadside breakdown can be terrifying. Performing a pre-trip driveway inspection gives motorists peace of mind by reducing the chance of unplanned, costly car trouble and providing an opportunity to have any repairs performed by a trusted technician before hitting the road.
Right in their own driveway, motorists can determine how road ready their vehicle is with a 10-minute vehicle check. If service or repairs are needed, they can be performed in advance to ensure safety and reliability on the road.
- Check the tires including tire pressure and tread. Underinflated tires reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy and uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Check the hoses and belts as they can become cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or show signs of excessive wear. These are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and the cooling system.
- Check filters and fluids including engine oil, power steering and brake, and transmission, as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check the wipers and lighting so that you can see and be seen. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and inspect and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly in wet weather.
- Check the brakes and battery to be sure the battery connection is clean, tight and corrosion-free and that the brakes are functioning properly.
- Check Your Tire Pressure.
- Restock your emergency kit, consider a pre-trip tune-up to help the engine deliver the best balance of power and fuel economy.